Never Let Me Go (2010)
You let this happen.
"The circle is broken. But with death comes rebirth and, like all lovers and sad people, I am a poet.”
you had a choice; you chose not to be free.
1. Do not date a boy who does not care what your favourite song is. The boy who does not care what melodies ignite your heart strings with love and wonder while staring at passing street lights on the last train home, will not care if it’s 2 a.m. and your heart is breaking.
2. Do not let anyone fold you up like last winters tattered scarf and put you away with the others in a neatly labeled box. Even when there’s thunder and the sky is crying, you are your mum’s favourite summer dress. You are to wear yourself like you believe it.
3. We are all stories. Write yours how you want. Make today’s chapter about purposely taking the wrong bus and discovering a tiny blue tea shop, or folding origami paper hearts over and over on your window sill. Just make sure it’s something you’d enjoy reading.
4. I will always try to save you.
5. Someday you will be 19 and lost and heartbroken and you will think about a place you’ve seen on TV or heard or read about in a book or seen a picture of. You will feel your heart drop into your stomach. Go there. For a day, a month, forever, but it’s important that you go.
6. The world is so beautiful. Do not let the slumped over homeless man outside the convenience store or the stories of guns and bombs on the television let you believe otherwise. We are all so lost. All of us. We all show it in different ways. I write bad poems. Others start wars. There is no inherent evil, only good people searching too hard.
7. I love everything about you.
8. Money turns people into liars and emotional ghosts. School grades are an inaccurate representation of you. Measure your life’s worth in how many times you’ve nearly lost your life to laughter, how many books you’ve closed with happy tears in your eyes, people whose lives you’ve brought joy to, marshmallows eaten, or countries visited.
9. Don’t ever let anyone tell you to stop crying. Cry if you want to. It’s okay. You’re allowed.
10. My best friend once told me that the most important decision he had ever made was to love everyone and everything. He’s the only person I’ve ever known to have a viewable aura of light around him. Don’t forget to love this world, to love people. Be light. You are already mine.”
40 weirdly intriguing questions
1. What’s a question you’re afraid to ask? To whom?
2. What’s something you hide about your personality?
3. What’s something other people think about you that you don’t agree with?
4. How do you deal with criticism?
5. What’s the sweetest thing anyone’s ever done for you?
6. What’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever done for someone?
7. What’s something sweet you’d like someone to do for you?
8. Describe your favourite texture.
9. Which national or global tragedy were you closest to and how did it affect you?
10. Post a photo/draw a picture/write a poem (pick one) of a moment of personal significance.
11. Which fictional character would you most like to have lunch with and why?
12. Who would you say is your “anti” role model? Someone who serves as a warning rather than an inspiration?
13. What’s your least “politically correct” opinion?
14. What kind of underwear do you imagine Sherlock Holmes wears?
15. What’s one of the most difficult things you’ve ever had to do?
16. If you were an element on the Periodic Table, which would you be and why?
17. What’s the most infuriating thing your parents (or caregiver) do?
18. Which Disney Princess do you most identify with and why? Which is your favourite and why? And yes- ANYONE can answer this question.
19. You’re an Action Movie Hero. What’s your weapon of choice and the line you scream when defeating your arch enemy?
20. What’s the silliest fan theory you’ve ever come up with?
21. What did you think about before you fell asleep last night?
22. What’s the oddest term of endearment you’ve ever used or that someone’s used for you?
23. What motivates you in life?
24. What was something you used to enjoy, but was ruined for you? What’s the story behind that?
25. How do you think you will fare when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives?
26. Which mythological creature are you most like? Why? And if you could be any mythological creature, which would you want to be? Why?
27. Write a brief story about an actual adventure you’ve had.
28. Describe one of the most awkward experiences of your life.
29. What’s something that scares you about the future?
30. List 5 quirky things about yourself.
31. Describe your dream library.
32. What’s the weirdest item you’ve ever mourned?
33. If you could design an amusement park ride, what would it be like?
34. Do you have any “rules” about food?
35. What’s your opinion on age differences in relationships?
36. What’s something you want to do that you’d be embarrassed to tell other people about?
37. Describe a time/event in your life that you’re nostalgic for.
38. How do you approach social situations?
39. What is your ideal bed? Why?
40. Post a short excerpt of your life.
Please ask me some of these.
i stood in his shoes, looked through his eyes and saw death.